After the indulgence of Rakhi sweets, it is time to get back to healthy eating. Vegetable Dalia is an easy and quick breakfast option and is very healthy. Dalia is also known as broken wheat and is high in fibre and a rich source of protein and Carbohydrates. Along with vegetables this is a great start to your day.
I used to be very irregular with my Breakfast but all that changed when I started consulting my Dietitian Pooja on health and nutrition with the primary objective of losing weight. I did lose weight but more importantly I developed healthy eating habits for a lifetime. One such habit has been eating a nutritious breakfast.
Eating a healthy breakfast helps fight cravings, increases metabolic rate and also prevents mood swings.
There are so many yummy breakfast recipes that will help to keep you in shape. I plan to cover these in the upcoming posts. If there are any recipes you would love to see, please mention it in the comments and I will try and add a post on it.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 Cup Wheat Broken / Dalia
- 1.5 cups finely chopped steamed vegetables ( Carrots & Beans)
- 1/2 Cup Peas Blanched
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Tomatoes Finely Chopped
- 2 Onions Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Inch Ginger Finely Chopped
- 2 Sprigs curry leaves of
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilly Red Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 cups Water
- To Taste salt
- Dry roast the broken wheat in a pan on low flame until it is light brown in colour.
- Put the broken wheat aside.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds , when mustard starts crackling add finely chopped ginger and stir.
- When ginger turns pink add curry leaves and stir.
- Add finely chopped onions and stir. Once the onions are translucent add finely chopped tomatoes and stir till tomatoes are fried well and leave oil on the edges of the vessel.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilly powder and stir for 20 seconds and then add peas and stir. Add steamed vegetables . Add Water.
- When water starts boiling add roasted broken wheat and salt to taste. Stir gently after 2 -3 minutes. In about 12-15 minutes the water would reduce , and broken wheat would have cooked. To check if the broken wheat is cooked press it between your fingers and it should be soft all the way through the centre.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with coconut chutney
The take it easy chef says
I love dalia, but never tried it for breakfast. This looks interesting! Will definitely try this recipe.
Paluk Khanna says
Thanks Arun !! Let me know how it goes ..
Monica Joseph says
Hi Paluk, Thank you once again for this wonderful Vegetable Dalia and yes my daughter has asked me to cook it again as it was yummy and she felt sated as she used to cook it plain. I am following you religiously and the recipes to try are with common ingredients. That’s what I like about your blog. Your Mom is a great COOK which reminds me of my late Mother.
Paluk Khanna says
Thank you Monica !! So Happy that your daughter enjoyed Daliya. Look forward to hearing from you.