There is something almost mystical about a Baking a whole chicken. I have the itch for a long time and today I finally got a chance to scratch it. Like any other chicken a whole chicken can be marinated with various flavours. I wanted to keep the chicken flavourful but light so I decided on a marinate with Pineapple Juice and Red Wine. Both of these are acidic in nature and act as meat tenderisers. I also added a few fresh herbs for flavouring – Rosemary and Thyme.
For most of the Indian cooking the skin of the chicken is removed, however for a baked chicken it is advisable to keep the skin on. Yes it does add a few calories but then you dont roast a chicken everyday and since we do not use any oil in cooking the chicken, mathematically the calorie count should remain the same. The skin adds a crisp covering and gives the chicken a lovely golden brown colour.
Marinating Chicken is important in this recipe as well. Chicken should be marinated from 4 to 24 hours. The Spices, juices, herbs should be smothered well on the chicken, inside and outside and kept in the fridge. Remember to turn the chicken every couple of hours ( Except when you are asleep, of-course 🙂 ). I marinated this chicken for more than 16 hours.
Apart from stuffing the chicken with vegetables, I also add some vegetables when the chicken is almost 75% done so that the vegetables get cooked in the chicken juice and absorb the taste of the meat and herbs.
Baked chicken is a wholesome meal and a fair mix of protein, carbs and fibre. For a long time I felt that chicken alone with vegetables, in the form of salad or steamed veggies, was not a complete meal and I would add more carbs in the form of bread or rice. It was only after I consulted a dietitian that I am okay Chicken and veggies as a complete meal.
- 800 grams Whole Chicken
- 2 tablespoons Ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1 cup Pineapple Juice
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chilli Flakes
- 5 - 6 Thyme springs of
- 3 - 4 Sprigs Rosemary of
- To Taste Sale
- Wash the chicken and leave it in a strainer for 15-20 minutes, so that all the water drains out, even from the cavity
- Rub ginger garlic paste , salt & Chilli flakes all over the chicken inside as well as outside. Put Thyme and Rosemary under the skin of the chicken.
- Tie the chicken legs and secure the wings closer to the body, if required use a toothpick to fix it. Mix Brown Sugar, Pineapple juice and Wine and pour it over the chicken. After a couple of hours turn the chicken upside down. Marinate for a minimum of 4 and maximum of 24 hours. Keep the chicken in the fridge, while marinating.
- One hour before cooking take the chicken out of the fridge. Take the chicken out of the Pineapple juice and red wine bath and stuff it with baby potatoes and mushrooms.
- Boil the wine and pineapple juice mix till it is reduced to one fourth.
- Put the chicken in an oven safe dish and bake it in an oven preheated at 180 degrees . After 15 -20 minutes brush the chicken with reduced wine and pineapple juice.
- After 1 hour insert a fork to check if the chicken is done. If the chicken is tender and the fork can be easily inserted, it is considered done. Today the chicken was almost done in 1 hour so I put the rest of the mushrooms, asparagus and pineapple on the side of the chicken.
- Pour the rest of the reduced liquids over the chicken and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Take out the chicken and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before you cut it.
- Serve the chicken along with veggies. Carbohydrate content in the veggies is enough, but if you want more you can also serve with garlic bread
I would love to hear from you on how the recipe turned out for you, please leave a comment and rate it.
Nidhi Khanna says
Its really yummy… Everyone at home liked it a lot.
Paluk Khanna says
Thank you Nidhi !!