Lapis Legit is an Exotic Rich Cake also popularly known as Indonesian Layered Cake. This layered cake is very popular in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. My husband’s colleague who came from Indonesia got us Lapis Legit. It was an instant hit with my daughter. I personally loved the texture and flavour of the cake.
I call this cake Exotic Rich Cake as it needs a lot of eggs, butter and very less flour. This layered cake is dense in texture and not very sweet. Baking this cake is definitely not child’s play. You need be really patient and follow the process. Unlike other cakes where you put the batter and take a break , for a few minutes, to bake Lapis Legit you need to keep an eye on the cake, all the time.
One thing that intrigued me about this cake was the layers. My daughter and I both enjoyed taking out each layer of the cake and eating it slowly. A few things that I would suggest while baking this cake are:
- Measure all the ingredients and keep it ready for use before you start the process
- Separate Egg whites and yolk carefully.
- To make meringue from Egg Whites, ensure the vessel in which you are beating the eggs is absolutely clean. Ensure no trace of water or any kind of fat either on the vessel or the beater
- Patience is key to successful baking, avoid short cuts and multi tasking
- All the ingredients , especially eggs and butter should be at room temperature
- Lapis Legit is a heavy cake. Do not count calories, if you really wish to enjoy the cake. I recommend serving small potions , to avoid guilt afterwards!
If you like the recipe please show your support by clicking on the little heart on the top. If you would like to get notified whenever I post something new, please follow the blog. You will also find us on Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter
|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Cook Time||90 Minutes|
|Passive Time||30 Minutes|
- 8 Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp vinegar
- 300 gram butter
- 1/3 cup Condensed Milk
- 12 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tsp Sweet Spices
- 3/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Dark Rum Optional
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- Pre heat oven at 200 degrees. Line a 9" pan with butter paper. Grease the sides of the pan
- Mix Flour, Baking Powders, Salt and Sweet spices together with a fork
- In a bowl, cream butter. When the butter is pale yellow add condensed milk and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Add one egg yolk at a time and continue beating, till all the egg yolks are well incorporated. Add vanilla extract and mix.
- In a clean and dry vessel , start beating egg whites. when the egg whites are fluffy add sugar in three batches. Add vinegar and continue whisking till you get stiff peaks. I prefer to use an electric beater as it reduces the effort
- Add the butter and egg yolk mix in the egg white and gently mix.
- Add flour to the mixture in three batches and fold in.
- Use a lade or 1/3 cup of batter and put it into the prepared pan. Spread the batter evenly with a spatula, tap it on the counter and put the pan in the central rack of the oven for 5-7 minutes or till the top layer is golden brown
- Once the first layer is done , switch the oven heating only to the top coil. Put another 1/3 cup batter , spread, tap on the counter and bake till the top is golden brown. Repeat this step till you have exhausted the batter.
- Bake the last layer 2 minutes longer than the rest to get a nice brown colour on the top. Once done take out the cake and let it cool for 30 minutes before cutting.
If you do not have ready to use sweet spice mix, take a star anise, 1/2 nutmeg, 2" Cinnamon stick and a mace and make fine powder. Adding the sweet spice mix to cake gives a warm flavour. Try it in the Banana Breads , Carrot Cake or Dry Fruit cakes
Can I have this cake, and eat it too? 😉
It looks delicious!!
Paluk Khanna says
Thanks Arun 🙂 !!!
Sujata Shukla says
This looks like a real labour of love, baking the cake layer by layer, but worth all the effort to produce such a gorgeous looking cake in the end!
Paluk Khanna says
Thank you Sujata 🙂 !!
DHARAMBIR CHAUDHARY says
yummy !delicious cake recipe! thanks for sharing!
Paluk Khanna says
Glad that you liked it !!!