Lapis Legit is an Exotic Rich Cake also popularly known as Indonesian Layered Cake. This layered cake is very popular in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. My husband’s colleague who came from Indonesia got us Lapis Legit. It was an instant hit with my daughter. I personally loved the texture and flavour of the cake.
I call this cake Exotic Rich Cake as it needs a lot of eggs, butter and very less flour. This layered cake is dense in texture and not very sweet. Baking this cake is definitely not child’s play. You need be really patient and follow the process. Unlike other cakes where you put the batter and take a break , for a few minutes, to bake Lapis Legit you need to keep an eye on the cake, all the time.
One thing that intrigued me about this cake was the layers. My daughter and I both enjoyed taking out each layer of the cake and eating it slowly. A few things that I would suggest while baking this cake are:
- Measure all the ingredients and keep it ready for use before you start the process
- Separate Egg whites and yolk carefully.
- To make meringue from Egg Whites, ensure the vessel in which you are beating the eggs is absolutely clean. Ensure no trace of water or any kind of fat either on the vessel or the beater
- Patience is key to successful baking, avoid short cuts and multi tasking
- All the ingredients , especially eggs and butter should be at room temperature
- Lapis Legit is a heavy cake. Do not count calories, if you really wish to enjoy the cake. I recommend serving small potions , to avoid guilt afterwards!
If you like the recipe please show your support by clicking on the little heart on the top. If you would like to get notified whenever I post something new, please follow the blog. You will also find us on Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter