My apologies for not being very regular with posts this month. Work, Festivities, Kid’s holidays all keeping me occupied much more than usual. Now, with very few days left for Diwali, I am getting all ready with a few new and a few traditional recipes.
Panchmel Dal as the name suggests is made with 5 dals, namely Split Bengal Gram, Split Red Gram, Split Green Gram, Split Black Gram & Split Red Lentil. If you have guests coming over , Panchmel Dal is a good choice to make. Even though made with the usual dals, Panchmel Dal is unique in taste.
I remember my mother making this dal , especially when any one Dal ran out. She would mix other dals and make Panchmel Dal. Another unique aspect of this dal is that while in cooking most Dals, the dal is first cooked and then tempered, in this Dal the tempering is first prepared and then the Dal is cooked along with the tempering.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
|Passive Time||30 minutes|
- 1/8 Cup Bengal Gram Dal Split / Chanaa
- 1/8 Cup dal Split Red Gram / Arhar
- 1/4 Cup Green Gram Moong Dal Split /
- 1/4 Cup Black Gram Urad Dal Split /
- 1/8 Cup Red lentil Masoor Dal Split /
- 2 tablespoons Butter Ghee Clarified /
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Garlic Finely
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Ginger Finely
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilly Red powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Powder
- 2 tomato large
- salt To Taster
- Wash and soak dals together for 30 minutes
- Cut the tomatoes and grind them in a mixer.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee. Add asafoetida and then cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start crackling and are golden brown add garlic. Continue stirring.
- When garlic is golden brown add ginger and stir. Once ginger is also light brown, add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and stir.
- Add tomato paste and stir, till the ghee seperates and tomatoes are well fried.
- Drain the water from the Dal and put it in the pressure cooker. Add Salt and Water. Water should be 1.5" above the Dal.
- Pressure cook the dal , lower the whistle after the first whistle and switch off the gas after 3 whistles.
- Open the cooker after 10 -15 minutes.
- Before serving heat a teaspoon of ghee and add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds and 1 teaspoon coriander powder and a red chilly. Pour this on Dal
- Goes well with Chapati or Rice
If you like the recipe please show your support by clicking on the little heart below and if you would like to get notified whenever I post something new, please follow the blog. You will also find us on Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter
I would love to hear from you on how the recipe turned out for you, please leave a comment and rate it.
Tomato puree means just grind whole tomato in mixer OR boil and deskin tomato and grind?
Paluk Khanna says
Thanks Namitha, just grind whole tomatoes in mixer !!