There are times when you want to eat something nutritious, light but quick to make. Quick as in less than 5 minutes. Instant or Quick oats can come to your rescue. I was introduced to Quaker oats in 2006 when it was launched in India. The flavoured oats porridge was my favourite.
Ever since I started taking nutrition in my food seriously, oats has become a dominant part of my diet. I experimented and learnt to make Oats in various forms. I still eat oats at least 4 times a week for Breakfast.
Oats have higher protein, dietary fibre and lesser carbohydrate content than an equal quantity of wheat or rice. Oats helps in lowering Cholesterol, managing blood sugar levels and manage weight.
Curd & Oats is my version of Curd Rice without Rice. It is as light as rice, takes less than 5 minutes to cook and tastes as good as curd rice. I first made Curd and Oats when I had a stomach Infection and was forced to eat non-spicy food. I wanted a change from curd rice, so my nutritionist suggested I can eat oats. I made oats & Curd exactly like curd rice with tempering of mustard and curry leaves and was pleasantly surprised with the taste. It tastes as good as curd rice and is very light. When eating for health keep the tempering very light but otherwise you can add cashews in the tempering. For added weight loss benefits you can add oats bran.
|Cook Time||5 minutes|
- 1 cup Oats Instant Quaker
- 250 ml Curd
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Pinch Asafoetida of
- 1 teaspoon lentil Urad Daal Split and Dehusked Blak Gram /
- 1 teaspoon Bengal Gram Chana Dal Split /
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger Grated
- 1 red Chilli
- 1/4 Mustard
- 4 - 5 Curry Leaves
- Pour boiling water over the oats. Cover the pan and keep it aside for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes drain the water .
- Whip curd and add oats, salt and mix.
- In a small pan heat oil.
- Add Asafoetida, and then the dals.
- Once the dals are pink in colour add the grated ginger. When the ginger has changed colour, add mustard seeds. When the seeds start crackling add red chilly and then curry leaves. Pour the tempering over the curd and Oats mixture.
- Serve with pickle or papad.
Teena Sunoj says
I hate oats but this one has motivated me to try oats again. I am going to try this with Sarah and if it clicks I will add this recipe to the toddler meal challenge as a contribution from Paluk aunty 🙂
Paluk Khanna says
I would love it if Sarah likes it …it will be a huge accomplishment !!